Sunday, November 2, 2008

Fashion Rant

O.K. girls. I have a fashion rant that I just have to share. First and foremost, let me state that neither of us has any formal training in the fashion industry. We go with our gut. We wear what we like and matches our mood. If we are feeling sexy, we may wear black and show some skin or a tight, passionate-purple that fans the internal flames. Hair up, down, long or short-- just depends on who we are on that particular day.

That said, I was reviewing the latest Harpers Bazaar this evening and a feature article titled "Fabulous at Any Age" caught my eye. I liked the title because we ARE all fabulous at any age. But the article proceeded to say that 20-year-olds should choose "playful, punked-out styles" this fall, 30-year-olds should "reach for a refined look" in chic seperates, 40-year-olds should "choose autumnal hues offset with glossy highlights" and 50-year-olds should"opt for All-American Red, White and Blue".

We have several problems with this fashion advice. First, we are both 49-year old blondes! We can't POSSIBLY wear autumnal colors! Anything remotely orange is a disaster on both of us! In the spring, we will both be 50 years old. We have discussed this and flatly refuse to relegate ourselves to red, white and blue sweater sets and the perfect set of pearls! Why can't we wear playful, punked-out styles? We are not talking about trying to look like a 19-year old pop star but their example was a strapless purple-floral dress. Is that so far out of our age range as to be inappropriate? I think we would both feel alot more "UP" in that rather than tweed slacks and black Mary Janes! Good GRIEF!

We believe that all women are fabulous at any age and if you want to dress like a 20-year old and that helps you feel more like a 39-year old, then that is OUR fashion advice to you!

As I sit here admiring my new hot-pink and polka dot acrylic nails, I am reminded of something one of the great style icons once sang: "Girls just want to have fun!". And even though I am a member of AARP, inside and OUT, I am still a girl!

1 comment:

Joan Price said...

Oh dear! I'm 65 -- what am I supposed to wear? a coffin?

I love your perspective and agree wholeheartedly.

Thanks for linking to my blog-- that's how I found you.

Joan Price

author of Better Than I Ever Expected: Straight Talk about Sex After Sixty (http://www.joanprice.com/BetterThanExpected.htm)

Join us -- we're talking about ageless sexuality at http://www.betterthanieverexpected.blogspot.com